Why was I so hesitant about getting a Smart Phone?

I am quilting the Woolly Fish quilt now, and I have given myself a deadline to finish it by Dec 15th so I can sent the photos to my niece, who creates my "artwork" that gets uploaded to the printer in California, so they can FedEx it to me in Orlando where I will be teaching a class using that new quilt pattern on January 8th.

I ran out of the invisible thread this afternoon.  Dreaded situation.  I needed it to finish the quilt for the bobbin thread.  No, I couldn't get it sent from Joann's.  No time to wait.  I called on the cell phone the two fabric stores I've been to which might carry the thread.  No dice.  Then I remembered there is a quilt shop in the area of Kutztown (the next town south of here).  I asked the smart phone for Covered Bridge, before I could say quilt shop, I was shown all the covered bridges within 10 miles.  I asked the phone again "Covered Bridge Quilt Shop in Kutztown" and she sent me to Wooden Bridge Quilt Shop"  Yeah, that's the one.  I called them (push an icon) "Do you carry invisible thread?"  "Yes we do."  "Is it in stock?" " Yes."   "I'll be right over."  (I was there once maybe 15 years ago. It isn't on Main St.)  By the time I got in the car, the google maps was directing me how to get there.  Go left on Rt. 222 for 4 miles then turn left on Topton Rd...The right, then straight, the left, then right, round the bend and it is there on the right ... 8.3 miles from home.  I was lost after Topton Rd, but the phone stuck with me and there it was, on a farm complete with cows.  I went inside and the sales girls were busy (they were Amish, they had bun covers on their hair) with other people so I wandered around.  The place is HUGE!  4000 to 5000 bolts of cotton quilt fabric and fabrics that the Amish women use to make their dresses, and dungarees and gloves and sweaters and every thread known to woman, and a huge classroom.  When one of the girls was ready, I told her I had called about the invisible thread, and she took me to it.  I bought one in clear and one in smoke so I wouldn't have to come back before the weekend.  I paid $3.79 each knowing that Joann's wanted $3.99 plus postage.  I'm a happy camper.  I told the phone to take me home, and off we went.

That phone is a better invention than sliced bread!  Kutztown is in a different county so they aren't in my phone book, if I had looked there.  But the fact that google knew to suggest the "wooden bridge" when I had said "covered bridge" is genius.  We just got the phone in July because our GPS device broke and we were using the old one that took us to the show in Essex Junction, by taking us up the NY State side and then told us to "take the ferry" across Lake Champlain, to get to Vermont.  No, we don't do ferries.   At that moment we knew the GPS (both of them) needed to  be replaced with something more modern.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doodle Quilt 1