Our next show is the MD Sheep and Wool Festival.  In preparation for that I decided that I would like to be able to spin my own yarn, so I bought a book called Respect the Spindle by Abby Franquemont.  I learned how to make my own spindle with a 1/4" piece of dowel which I cut into a 12" length, and a wooden toy wheel as my whorl, and a cup hook at the top.  My purpose for spinning is to have lines that I can felt into landscapes pictures, making just one more element to play with in my designs.  I've been watching Youtube videos on how to spin, which is easier than reading about it.  I used lines of commercially made yarn,  for stems on the flowers in the Dragonflies in Wool.  But I want to expand that to become tops of hills and valleys.  I've collected a lot of scenic photos and put them in my Pinterest board called Felting Art.   You can find me on Pinterest by searching for Debora Konchnsky.  This is sort of what I am working toward:   https://www.flickr.com/photos/deebsfiberarts/2377222173/in/photostream/  But my pictures will have trees sitting on my hand dyed wool fabric.  Here is the beginning of a piece I am working on:

I am using photos for my inspiration, but as you can see,  I have changed some colors to go with the fabric I had dyed, and I used curly fibers as well as straight ones to achieve the current look of the piece.  The pine trees are hand dyed pearl cotton embroidey.  It is fun to have time to play.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doodle Quilt 1