I was bitten by a tick on Thursday last week.  He embedded his head really well into my chest.  I used a tick twister, which looks like a green plastic mini-crowbar, but I couldn't get it under the tick.  I ended up using a tweezer but the body broke in two, leaving the head stuck in my skin.  I learned that tick have reverse barbs on the heads, making it difficult to remove.  I had a friend who got a tick bite as a kid and the skin grew over the tick part.  This later gave her some health issues.  So I knew I needed to have the head removed but where should I go? I called my family doctor's office and a P.A. called me back and agreed with me to have it removed at an Urgent Care facility.  So I went to the internet expecting to find one close to me.  I couldn't find any.  I finally called the local hospital and was directed to their "Express Care", which was the same location where I had gone for a cat bite, four years ago.  only the name had changed.  From the time we got to Express Care, till the time we drove away was less than an hour and I was much relieved to know that the tick was gone.  That was a good experience.

As I was looking online for advice, there was a link to the cdc.  It said, not to worry.  You don't need to get the partial tick out, it will fall out on its own.  I was shocked at this advice from our government.  A Professor of Nursing said have your husband dig it out after sterilizing the needle.  That didn't work.   So the problem was where is an urgent care place?  Now we know where it is, just in case, we need them again between 8 AM to 8 PM.  Don't get sick at night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doodle Quilt 1